Army Tuition Assistance
    Navy Tuition Assistance
    Air Force Tuition Assistance
    Marine Corps Tuition Assistance
    Coast Guard Tuition Assistance
    Veterans Affairs Resources
    Education Center Locations
    Military Education Benefits
    Colleges and Universities
    TA News and Articles
    About MilitaryTA.com
    Submit Information
    Submit Corrections / Updates
    Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
   When possible, we link to official sources of information.  There may be times that information has changed and we have not been made aware of the changes.  If you notice information which needs to be updated or removed, please let us know so we provide as accurate information as possible.

    MilitaryTA.com is not affiliated with the U.S. Military or U.S. Government and is a privately maintained resource to make finding Tuition Assistance information a little easier. 

Home > Tuition Assistance > Army Tuition Assistance
Army Tuition Assistance

Printer Friendly Page    Jul 12, 2013   (Updated Jan 10, 2014)  

On 1 January 2014 the Army’s Fiscal Year (FY) 2014 Tuition Assistance (TA) program will change.  These changes are supportive of the intent of the TA program – to provide financial assistance for voluntary off-duty education in support of Soldiers’ professional and personal self-development goals within a constrained budget environment..
Who is Eligible for Army Tuition Assistance:
The new policy will allow Soldiers to use TA after the successful completion of their first year of service after graduating from either Advanced Individual Training (AIT), Officer Candidate School (OCS) or Basic Officer Leaders Course (BOLC). Soldiers are eligible for up to 16 semester hours of TA-funded courses per fiscal year and they can use TA for a second, higher-level post-bachelor’s degree after completing 10 years of service.  The second degree time requirement applies to the movement from a bachelor’s to a master’s degree and not from an associate’s to a bachelor’s degree.  Also, the 10-year policy only applies if Army TA was used to pay for any portion of the undergraduate coursework.
Soldiers flagged under provisions of AR 600-8-2 are not eligible for TA.  Click here to read the Memorandum dated 13 June, 2013 and covering the following: 
"Effective immediately any Soldier, regardless of Army component (Active or Reserve) on an Army Physical Fitness Test (APFT) and/or Army Weight Control Program (AWCP) Flag will be ineligible for FTA."
What does the Tuition Assistance cover:
Soldiers will continue to receive up to $250 per semester hour for up to 130 semester hours for completion of a bachelor’s degree and up to 39 semester hours for completion of a master’s degree.  Soldiers cannot use TA for a second equivalent or lower degree, i.e., no second bachelor's or master's degree.  All courses must be part of an approved degree plan.  TA cannot be used for first-professional degrees, e.g., PhD, MD or JD.
Where do you apply for Army Tuition Assistance:
Soldiers must request TA through www.GoArmyEd.com prior to the course start date or before the school’s late registration period.
How to Apply for Army Tuition Assistance:
  • Soldiers must request TA through www.GoArmyEd.com prior to the course start date or before the school’s late registration period.
  • TA is requested on a course-by-course basis.
  • GoArmyEd will notify the Soldier whether the TA is approved or not. If the TA request is not approved, GoArmyEd will advise the Soldier of the reason and next steps.
  • All drops/withdrawals must take place through GoArmyEd. Soldiers who do not successfully complete a class will be required to repay the TA. Soldiers who are unable to successfully complete a class due to military reasons must request a Withdrawal for Military Reasons through GoArmyEd and complete all required steps to ensure that they will not be charged.
  • If the Soldier wishes to take a class with a school that does not participate in the electronic GoArmyEd class schedule, a TA Request Authorization form must be completed in GoArmyEd. The TA Request Authorization will be routed to an Army Education Counselor to be reviewed and approved. Soldiers should allow extra time for this. If the TA Request Authorization is approved, the Soldier will be notified by email. Soldiers must print the approved TA Request Authorization form in GoArmyEd, provide it to the school and enroll directly with the school.
  • Soldiers must submit a signed TA Statement of Understanding (TA SOU) each year. Soldiers in the rank of E7 or above do not need their commander's signature. However, by signing this document they agree to the terms of this TA SOU. Soldiers in the rank of E6 or below must have their commander's signature. GoArmyEd will send a notice to students 90 days before the due date.
Additional Information:
Printer Friendly Page    Jul 12, 2013   (Updated Jan 10, 2014)  

Updates to the content on this page:
If you notice information on this page that needs to be updated or know of something that needs to be added, please send us an email and let us know.